Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has been prescribed Gabapentin and prednisone for a…

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been prescribed Gabapentin and prednisone for a tumor on her leg. She has tolerated both of these meds well for a little over 2 months, this morning she made it a point to urinate in front of me I notice some blood and she has been needing to go out quite a bit more today she was also coughing this morning more then normal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Luci she is 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Luci?

She has been to her vet, they are aware of the cough and the frequent urination

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Luci. There are at least two concerns at this time. The first is that her hematuria (blood in the urine) and frequency of elimination is likely to be caused by a bacterial urinary tract infection which is consistent with the immunosuppression caused by the prednisone. Hematuria is also seen with urinary calculi (stones) and neoplasia such as transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder/urethra. Luci's vet will want to obtain urine for a complete urinalysis looking for the tell-tale signs of infection such as the presence of bacteria and/or abnormal numbers of either red or white blood cells.

The second is her coughing. My primary concern is that the tumor has metastasized to her lungfields but coughing at Luci's age can also result from heart failure, chronic sterile bronchitis, tracheal collapse, pneumonia, heartworm, and other cardiopulmonary disorders. Luci's vet is likely to recommend X-rays of Luci's chest in order to better understand why she's coughing more than normal at this time. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Thank you for your help, Luci has seen her vet and is on meds for a urinary tract infection.

Thank you for the good update. I appreciate your taking the time to let me know.