Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have and older dog she is 13 yrs old border collie Aussie…

Customer Question
We have and older...

We have and older dog she is 13 yrs old border collie Aussie mix she chewed her right rear foot badly we took her to the local vet and she removed the middle 2 toes telling us they were tumerou

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Dolly to finish the vet said they had tumors in them this was a couple weeks ago we have been cleaning and wrapping it every day last night she torn the wrap off and chewed the foot again and now she is also chewing an outside toe as well that will need removed Are we missing something here she is totally deaf and doesn’t see well also she has some big growths on her belly. Her blood work looked good but my wife thinks maybe there is something more serious going on like maybe cancer

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Not really other than we travel for work she grew up with our male Aussie they where the same age but he passed away about 8 months ago of old age She has kidney issues but my wife and I take very good care of our pets as our kids are grown and our pets are our kids

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about Dolly's foot.

When the middle toes were removed, was a biopsy done? If the tumors on the toes were cancer, it is possible that the cancer has spread to internal organs. Some tumors on toes are benign, but if these were "malignant melanomas", then she may have cancer.

The big growths on her belly could be benign lipomas or could be something more serious. Your veterinarian could do FNA, fine needle aspiration, to get a sample from them to look at under the microscope to tell you if they are benign or not.

Dogs with cancer often are losing weight, and not eating well. How is her appetite?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you!

How is Dolly doing? Please let me know if this was helpful or if you have any other questions.