Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My pitbull lab mix took a fall around 6pm yesterday and has…

Customer Question
My pitbull lab mix...

My pitbull lab mix took a fall around 6pm yesterday and has been limping on his front right lay since

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Jax and about 9 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jax?

He isn’t whining at all. Not when he walks or lays down. Now when we’ve touched it. It’s almost been 12 hours and he’s still limping

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear Jax is limping. Is he putting any weight on the leg, or is he hopping around on 3 legs?

Is the leg swollen at all?

If he is limping, he is painful, even if he is not whining. If it didn't hurt he would walk on it. This could be a broken bone, a sprain, a torn ligament or muscle injury. If it is a sprain or injured ligament or muscle, it may take a few weeks to heal. Limping is Nature's way of letting hit heal, by resting the injury so it can heal.

It might be best to get an Xray, to be sure there is no broken toe or bone, and to get a splint if there is. You could also get pain medication from a veterinarian.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you!

How is Jax doing? Please let me know if this was helpful or if you have any other questions.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian