Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My puppy was diagnossed with Distemper, and now he is on a…

Customer Question
Hi, my puppy was...

Hi, my puppy was diagnossed with Distemper, and now he is on a neurological stage, yesterday he was kind of normal but today he is whining/crying all day, he stops when he is like awake and up. He is in threatment for a week but I dont know what to give him to relief his pain

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?

Rocko

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rocko?

He is like 3 months old, he is with medication for the distemper

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. Distemper is a tough disease in puppies. Once they start showing neurologic signs, it's almost always fatal. We only rarely are able to get a puppy back once they're in that stage of the disease.

I usually treat them with an antibiotic like Clindamycin just in case it's a bacterial encephalitis and not Distemper virus. I also use Gabapentin as needed for pain. Sometimes I'll use a steroid if there is any thought of cerebral edema.

I think Gabapentin would be helpful for Rocko for any pain.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

He weights 5.5kg how many Gabapentin should I give him

I would give 50 mg every 8-12 hours, as needed.

He is not with convultions, he is presenting this tics in his leg and head. And this medicine will not interfere with the treatment for distemper?

Those facial tremors are common with distemper dogs. I know what you're referring to.

Gabapentin will not interfere with the treatment of distemper. It's used in conjunction with any other treatments.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
I had to put him down, he developed convultions and was suffering
Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian