Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 18lb dog ate half a decon bait block what should I do.

Customer Question
My 18lb dog ate...

My 18lb dog ate half a decon bait block what should I do

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Alexis she is 2

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How many hours has it been since he ate it?

2- Can you look at the label and tell me the name of the active ingredient?

3- How many grams or ounces in each block (see label)?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

15 minutes 1 tablespoon defalenacoo

Can you double check on the main of the active ingredient?

brodifacoum 0.05%

1- How many ounces or grams in each block? (see label)

2- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

she won't drink it each block is 3 oz she at 1/2

Can you double check the percentage; is it 0.005% or 0.05%?

Are you there?

O.oo5

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, Brodifacoum is an anticoagulant. In other words, it interferes with coagulation causing the patient to bleed. It is not likely for the amount she consumed to be fatal for an 18 lbs dog. However, I prefer to err on the side of caution and I would try to make her vomit. This is what you can do:

1- Give her 1/2 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting. You can mix the peroxide with 1/2 tablespoon of milk and she may drink it on her own. Or, squirt it directly into her mouth in between her molars and cheek.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If she does not vomit or you do not see the bait in the vomit follow up in the morning with your family veterinarian to start her on Vitamin K1 which is the antidote.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

She took few teaspoons of peroxide vomitted x3 seen poison in vomit should I still take to vet?

Do you feel comfortable that all of the poison was in the vomit?

Maybe not all but mixed with vomit hard to tell she had three vomits and drinking water

I would follow up with your vet and start her on Vitamin K1 which is a very benign treatment and the antidote for this type of poison.