Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Swallowed a car key. Meatloaf 4. Meatloaf. He is raw fed and…

Swallowed a car key ...

Swallowed a car key

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Meatloaf 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Meatloaf

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Meatloaf?

He is raw fed and accidentally ate the key while eating ground turkey. has had runny bowel movements since then

12/13/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has it been since he swallowed the key?

2- Have you been checking the stool looking for the key?

3- Is he lethargic?

Its Been 2 ful daysYes I have been checking every stoolHe isnt lethargic

1- What have you been feeding him?

RiceHe is on a Raw Diet Otherwise

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, he should have passed the key by now; the fact that he has diarrhea I am a bit concerned that the key could be obstructed in the intestinal tract. You have done right feeding him rice; not much more you can do at home at this point. Giving him a laxative would be contraindicated as it can cause an intussusception which is a surgical emergency. I would recommend having him checked in the morning by your family veterinarian for a hands-on examination and x-rays as an initial screening test. In the meantime, keep him on a diet of mainly rice. Do not feed him in the morning when he is going to see the vet he may need to be sedated for x-rays. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Theres nothing more at all I can do from home> and thank you for the advice...well worth it. Im worried, I love my dog but have very little money until payday next thursday. Would it be dangerous to wait that long? and anything i can watch for which would be cause for alarm nd an emergency visit?'

Unfortunately, no there is not. At this point, we need to take an x-ray and see where it is positioned in the gastrointestinal tract. Then, depending on where it is your vet may decide to wait and come back sometime later (6-8 hours) and repeat another x-ray to see if it is moving along.

If he becomes lethargic, starts to vomit, bloody diarreha, pale gums, etc. have him checked by ER veterinarian.

I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian