Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She went to sleep for the night just fine, but when she woke…

Customer Question
She went to sleep...

She went to sleep for the night just fine, but when she woke up a little while ago she was twitching. I thought she had the hiccups but this is more of a all over muscle twitch or a nerve.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is 3 and a half.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Piper?

No she has always been healthy. She doesn't seem to be in any pain but can't quit twitching. Her left leg does it the most and her head twitch at the same time. Kind of like a nervous thing.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 4 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a video of what you're seeing?

At the moment she is not doing it. It lasted for about 30 to 40 minutes. She acted normal the entire time just looked like she had a major case of the hiccups. But it was just a little off not exactly like the hiccups. Her entire body would twitch and her head would kind of tick to the side. Did seem to be in pain. Ran around outside then came back to bed and is now sleeping fine.

If this happens again, please take a video. Dogs can develop hiccups just like people can but we usually don't witness this involving the legs.

Ok I will. Thank you

Certainly.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian