Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 month old french bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with…

Customer Question
My 5 month old...

My 5 month old french bulldog puppy has been diagnosed with an avulsion fracture of the right tibial tuberosity. I am wondering my treatment option. I can attach xrays if needed. Please let me know typical treatments for this injury.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?

Right rear leg

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name?

Moscato

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How did he injure his leg?

We believe that the injury happened from a jump off the couch. She did not wince in pain but began limping shortly after .

Okay thanks for the additional information. When was he diagnosed with the injury? Are you able to attach the x-rays to this chat?

An Xray was done yesterday and it was diagnosed. I will attach images below
6678_Dale (1).jpg6678_Da...jpg6678_Dale (2).jpg6678_Da...jpg6678_Dale (3).jpg6678_Da...jpg6678_Dale.jpg6678_Dale.jpg

Okay thanks for the x-rays. Did they discuss with you treatment options. Usually the best way to repair this is surgery to avoid orthopedic issues in the future. Usually they will place pins in the leg to hold the fracture in place to allow for healing then at some point they will remove the pins after 6- 8 weeks after it is confirmed that there is healing.

They did recommend surgery, I just dont know if I could afford 3-5 thousand dollar surgery. Does the fracture look severe/ very apparent to you? I there any other promising treatment options such as casting, splinting, rest, etc?

Yes the fracture is pretty obvious and severe. Unfortunately surgery is the most promising treatment for these cases especially since the fracture looks severely displaced forward. Other options such as splinting will not allow the fracture to heal correctly which may lead to knee issues in the future as an adult dog. I definitely understand that the surgery can be quite expensive. I am assuming that is the cost to have it done by a specialist. The next best option is to call around to general practitioner to see if any one is comfortable doing that type of surgery. If you can find one then they usually are much cheaper than a specialist.