Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

What Can I do to induce vomiting for a dog he just at a

Customer Question
What Can I do...

What Can I do to induce vomiting for a dog he just at a paper towel? And how long will it take for a dog to pass it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No just a paper towel

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Rodney he turned 2. He is also a chocolate lab

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rodney?

I have another dog I wanted to ask about as well.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/13/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about Rodney. How much of a paper towel did he eat? For a good sized chocolate lab, they would have to eat a large amount of paper towels to get me concerned about a blockage.

2 but they werent torn in to two pieces
I do have another question about another dog I’ve got as well

If he just ate two paper towels, I wouldn't be worried enough to induce vomiting. His intestinal tract should soften them up and let them pass. Paper towels are pretty fragile in smaller numbers. The problems arise when a lot are eaten and they just ball up and cause a blockage - sort of like a lot of toilet paper in a stool. A reasonable amount will be soft and pass. If vomiting is to be induced at home, 3% hydrogen peroxide is used for this. It is dosed at 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds.

No I’d rather use chat.

Sorry about the phone call prompt as that was the system and not myself.

I recently found out my corgi has diabetes I am having trouble trying to regulate his illness. Sometimes his numbers go off the charts and we can’t get a proper reading.

Are you trying to take blood glucose levels at home? I'll say that I'm a big proponent of starting with a dose of insulin twice a day and steadily increasing the dose through permission of your vet to get the clinical signs under control. Basically starting at a known dose that is going to be too low and then working up. What is being monitored for is a return of drinking to normal amounts and urination returning to the normal amount. When it starts to get more normalized, then a glucose curve can be done to finalize the dosing.

I'm curious to hear how Rodney is doing at this time.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian