Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has very bad breath and is constantly licking. Her…

My dog has very...

My dog has very bad breath and is constantly licking.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** she is around 12 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Piggy?

He has never had her teeth cleaned by a dr,

12/12/2017
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

The bad breath is most likely come from very severe periodontal disease....this is what happens with years of no teeth cleanings.....and many patients will start odd licking behaviors due to discomfort in the oral cavity. Did you have specific questions or concerns about professional cleanings?

I am standing by for any questions that you may have...

Can she be seen by any vet.

Well technically yes.....but some vets are better at dentistry than others....just make sure whatever practice you go to lists professional cleaning on their site. Also make them explain how they do the whole process. Let me explain.....

They should perform bloodwork first.....also should put your dog on antibiotics several days ahead and dental. In addition they should clean the teeth well, clean under the gums, extract all teeth that are even remotely bad and then polish all teeth well. They also need to have your dog on iV fluids and warming blanket during the procedure....

They should explain all of this in detail to you before you allow procedure....

Can I answer any other questions?

Does she need to be put to sleep?

Yes, all dentals have to be done under anesthesia to be done properly. This is usually very safe when done correctly. Death rate under anesthesia is less than 0.6%. So less than 1%...

We do many every week...

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Thank you

would you mind rating me 5 stars instead of 3? Or tell me what I can do to earn 5 stars?

Rating me 5 stars really helps me and I want to earn it...so if you have any additional questions or concerns I am happy to help...

Is there something I can do to get you to change your rating to 5 stars? Please let me know as I want to earn a great rating and make you happy. DRB