Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3year old lab swallowed a small screw that was on sunday…

Customer Question
My 3year old lab...

My 3year old lab swallowed a small screw that was on sunday night still waiting for him to poop it should I do or give him something to help him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Coco

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?

No he is eating normal just this morning I heard burp really loud strange he doesn't burp

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

A small screw should pass through the GI tract of a dog the size of Coco unaided. It may have already passed unnoticed or is sitting in Coco's colon ready to arrive shortly. Giving a bulk laxative orally at this late date won't be helpful and giving him an enema would only hasten the inevitable - his passing the screw without harm. His eating normally is a positive prognostic sign. Dogs with obstructions or perforations in their GI tract will persistently vomit, become anorexic, or both. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

ok I know the stool yesterday was dark almost black only weird thing he burped really loud this morning oh I caught him licking his butt this morning thats all . Should I worry...?

Dark/black stool more often indicates a slower than normal transit time than bleeding. The slower the ingesta moved through the GI tract the more time bacteria has to metabolize bile into stercobilinogen - the compound that gives stool its brownblack color. In most cases, slowing of the transit time is benign. A burp and butt licking aren't signs reliably indicative of much of anything at all! Be patient with Coco. I believe everything will come out alright... Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Is there anything I should watch out for with coco.?

Danger signs are persistent vomiting and/or anorexia...neither of which I expect to arise.

Ok then thankyou very much doctor

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian