Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Recently my 10 year old dog has gone through some rough

Customer Question
Hi , recently my...

Hi , recently my 10 year old dog has gone through some rough times. She ran away in a strange neighborhood while the dog sitter was in charge, and then when we did go home it was to the area in Northern Calif. where everything in the neighborhood had burned. Many animals and some people were killed in the fires. We lost our garage and our barn but our home in the middle was saved. My dog , Martini, has been a nervous wreck since this all happened...She was a nervous dog before but now terrible...my vet has put her on prozac as she is really afraid to be away from me now. My question: she also takes heart worm meds/anti flea and tick/and two pills for arthritis. Is it ok that she takes all of this at the same time? Also for 7 days she is on antibiotics as she got chipped. thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Martini?

I got it from the Vet.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

To answer you directly, upon review of the drug interactions associated with fluoxetine, I don't see any with heartworm preventatives or flea/tick products, but I see that SSRI's such as fluoxetine may increase the risk for GI ulceration when a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) is also on board. Which medication is contained in those two pills for arthritis, please?

Sorry, I lost connection
not sure of the spelling,,,,rimadyl and gabapentin
Are you still there?

Thank you. Rimadyl is an NSAID and so you'll need to watch for any indication of gastrointestinal disturbances - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - while fluoxetine is given. Gabapentin is OK. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Ok, thank you. so far, she seems to be eating well. I feel terrible having her on these meds. WE went through the fires in Mendocino county losing part of our property ....many animals and 9 people died in the fires and just before that she ran away in a strange city when a dog sitter left a gate open and she was lost for 24 hours.....she has been through a lot. We were moving from hotel to friends houses as we were evacuated for some time.....poor sweet little dog......thank you for your advice

You're quite welcome. I worked in Mendocino county for many years. I still have a home in Forestville (Sonoma county) and always worry that it won't be there when I return.

I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.