Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is about 15 16 years old and she's blind her left eye…

Customer Question
My dog is about...

My dog is about 15 16 years old and she's blind her left eye keeps filling with mucus and getting stuck together I keep washing it off and putting artificial tears lubricant in the eye but I'm just wondering what could it be she has cataracts on both eyes but it's just this one eye that gets stuck with mucus

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Sasha

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sasha?

Nothing that's what she sleeps a lot she eats she drinks water she goes to the bathroom and she sleeps a lot I guess that's because she's getting old and can't see she gets around the house fine

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: petdrz, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Sasha today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you.

Dogs that have cataracts are prone to developing a secondary condition called a anterior uveitis. This can lead to inflammation of the eye and could be the cause of the mucus build up. Other conditions that can cause eye discharge include keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS) which occurs due to a problem with tear formation. Additionally, bacterial conjunctivitis and glaucoma can also lead to ocular discharge. None of these can be diagnosed by visual inspection alone and specific testing is needed. I would stongly suggest that you have her evaluated by your vet so that a diagnosis can be made and appropriate treatment offered.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian