Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 10-year-old German Shepherd has not been eating the last…

My 10-year-old German Shepherd has...
My 10-year-old German Shepherd has not been eating the last few days and is only constantly drinking water. Sasha used to drink about 2 to 3 bowls of water a day and now is drinking about 6. She has been housebroken since she was a puppy but has started peeing in the house three times since yesterday. She has always barked next to the back door when she needed to go out and is no longer doing that. There has been no change in her or our routine so I know that is not the reason.
12/12/2017
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Is she spayed?

2- Is she currently on any medication?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

She was spayed when we adopted her almost 10 years ago. She was 12 weeks old at that time. When we adopted her she had pneumonia and she has always had skin and coat problems off and on. She is not on any medications. I feed her mostly limited ingredient and grain free foods or foods with ingredients that are good for the skin and coat. I also give her Cosequin DS maximum strength with MSM for her joints. There is no vomiting diarrhea or coughing. She has been extremely healthy and has not been to a vet since she was a puppy as we cannot afford the expense.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, the accidents in the house are common when a dog is drinking more than usual. The big question is: Why is the dog drinking more than usual? You see, when a dog is drinking a lot it is a sign of an underlying medical disorder. There are many possible causes. Unfortunately, I will not be able to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are an active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause your family veterinarian will need to do some blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC) and urinalysis as an initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test results. For example, if she is a diabetic she will be treated with insulin and a change of diet, if she has an infection she will be treated with antimicrobials, etc. If cost is a concerned I would look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Thank you very much for your help. Your answers were prompt and curteous. I shall start looking for shelters or a local ASPCA now.

Great.

You're welcome. :)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian