Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 12 yr old rat terrier. She seems to have lameness…

I have a 12...

I have a 12 yr old rat terrier. She seems to have lameness or charlie horse in her front legs. She can hardly get up in the morning and randomly throughout the day.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Foxy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Foxy?

She will stretch her leg out as straight as she can and lift it sideways.

12/12/2017
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue with your dog. Given her age, I worry about arthritis. I would recommend taking her to the vet for an exam and an xray. In the meantime, you can try Baby Aspirin (81 mg) 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can start glucosamine supplements, I capsule once a day. You can also give Omega 3 fatty acids 1 capsule once a day. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you. I will try these.
You're welcome. I hope that helps your dog.
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian