Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He had a seizure earlier today, now he is drinking a lot…

Customer Question
He had a seizure...

He had a seizure earlier today, now he is drinking a lot more water than usual, then he vomited, and is continuing to drink more water between laying down/resting. Now he is I think burping from all the water he is drinking.he is very old and I'm very scared and concerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Toy chihuahua

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Chihuahua?

Thank you so much for your help! Not that I can think of,he has been to the vet with in the last 6 months for his what they said was reverse sneezing, they did a check up aND said he was healthy.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are worried about your Chihuahua. I just came online and saw your question; I am sorry you have been waiting for an answer from a Just Answer expert.

How is he now? There are many causes for seizures in older dogs, and increased drinking is also a concern. If you look at his gums by lifting his lip, are the pink in color, or pale?

He is sleepon now but before that he had a big vomiting spell he did so 4 times with in a minute or two. However after that he laI'd down and then seemed to start feeling better walking around a bit and wanting to be in my lap as he normally is, when he was sick he didn't want in my lap at all. His nose is also dry and he has diaharia, I'm checking his gums right now just a second
I think they may be a pailer color but it is hard to tell

I am pretty worried about any older dog that has a seizure, vomits, and is drinking more water than usual. The best thing to do would be an exam by a veterinarian, and blood tests.

If his gums are not as pink as normal, that is a sign of possibly serious disease.

If you want to just monitor him, watch for more vomiting, his gum color, and his water intake. When he wakes up, I would see if he wants to eat, but don't let him eat a lot at one time. If he has another seizure, I would definitely do blood tests to check for things like low blood sugar, low thyroid, liver disease, and I would check his heart and blood pressure.

OK thanks I will do that. This is first time ever really vomiting or having a seizure so I was freaking out. He only eats human food is there something that is better to feed him that is better for him?

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing.

If he does not eat any dog food at all, I would add in a multi vitamin to be sure he is getting all his vitamins and minerals.

Hi Angela Stepenenko,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?