Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He is 13 years old, has a large tumor on his abdomen and…

Customer Question
He is 13 years...

He is 13 years old, has a large tumor on his abdomen and this week he has loss the use of his hind legs. trying to

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Bandit

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bandit?

He has been taking these chinese capsules to stop the tumor from bleeding

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Bandit. Loss of use of the hindlegs is usually related to a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as intervertebral disk disease (a "slipped disk"), fibrocartilaginous embolism (an interruption in the blood supply to the spinal cord), or perhaps neoplasia in or around the spinal cord. Perhaps that large tumor has metastasized to Bandit's spine. Pragmatically speaking, Bandit would need to respond positively to having inflammation in or around his spinal cord reduced by a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) prescribed by his vet if he has any chance of recovering function in those legs. X-ray and MRI can be performed to better understand what's going on in his spinal cord but these imaging modalities should be reserved for potential surgical candidates which isn't the case with Bandit. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian