Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Why does my dog have harsh breathing when she’s asleep?

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Sounds like this. She’s been doing it since I’ve had her which is 3 years https://youtu.be/46lK5VP2lpY
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Thank you for the YouTube file. The sound is that of a mild stridor which is described as a high-pitched sound causd by disrupted airflow. The larynx or trachea are sites most incriminated in disrupting the airflow. If you're not hearing this while she's awake, tissues in either area have relaxed during sleep and are extending into the lumen of these structures. This would be considered a benign condition unless it occurred while awake and affected her quality of life. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.