Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I HAVE A QUESTION MY DOG IS 8MON OLD AND SHE DOESNT SEEM TO…

Customer Question
HI I HAVE A QUESTION...
HI I HAVE A QUESTION MY DOG IS 8MON OLD AND SHE DOESNT SEEM TO HAVE FEVER IT IS BED TIME NOW SO SHE IS NOT RUNNING AROUND BUT IS PANTING VERY HEAVILY AND KEEPS LICKING ANYTHING SHE CAN INCLUDING ME AND HERSELF SHE JUST GOT ALL HER SHOTS LAST WEEK SHOULD I BE CONCERND? I ALSO READ YOU SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT CRAMPS MY VET SAID SHE WONT START HER CYCLE TILL SHE 9MON ANY ADVISE PLEASE
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
can anyone help me with my concerns
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 2 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I just signed in and noticed no other expert chose to answer your question and wanted to help.

Female Dogs go into heat at any time between 6-12 months usually. The average heat cycle for a dog is approximately 3 weeks but for some dogs it is longer and for others it is shorter. Some as short as 10 days and some as long as 4 weeks or more. Usually your dog will go into heat every 6-7 months though again each dog is different and can go back into heat as early as 4 months or not for 12 months. Most however are average.

If she is going into heat, the hormonal shifts might cause some nausea and thus excessive licking. A dog will often drink a little more and urinate small amounts in numerous places to ensure her scent is spread around to attract males.

During the first part of a dogs heat period you will notice swelling of the vulva, possibly an increase in urination and bleeding. If there are male dogs around you will notice them hanging around her. This stage generally last about 7 days and she will not allow males to mate with her during this period The second part of the heat cycle is when she will accept a male and breed. Usually a female will lift her tail out of the way. Usually bleeding has stopped or become straw colored at this point. This can last from 4 to 21 days though the average is 7 days. Many expert say the 9-10th day of heat is the optimum day for breeding. Then during the last stage of heat she will be less willing to breed as she is going out of heat. This stage can again last from 4 to 21 days as well but averages 7 days.

You can let your female curl up with a warm water bottle or warm towel on her belly. Many dogs in heat exhibit behavioral changes. If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 month ago

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner