Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 30 lb puppy ate around 9 ounces of Hershey’s hugs (mixed…

Customer Question
My 30 lb puppy...

My 30 lb puppy ate around 9 ounces of Hershey’s hugs (mixed white chocolate and milk chocolate) do I need to take her to emergency vet? She vomited once and has been drinking a lot of water, also some shivering.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Mae

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Mae ingested some Hershey's Hugs. Chocolate can be toxic, but they do need to eat a certain amount per pound of body weight in order to get sick.

A 30 pound pup would need to eat 4.32 ounces of milk chocolate to see symptoms of drooling, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea and almost 8.6 ounces of milk chocolate to see hyper-excitability and an elevated heart rate.

At higher amounts we can see muscle tremors and possible seizures.

The good news is that white chocolate has little if any of the toxins that milk or dark chocolate have to make dogs sick.

If she ate 9 ounces of Hugs (which are roughly 1/2 milk chocolate) she ate roughly 4.5 ounces of milk chocolate, enough to cause gastrointestinal symptoms (vomiting and diarrhea, as well as nausea and increased thirst) but not enough to get really sick with possible heart effects or seizures. She would need to eat at least 16 ounces of Hugs to see those side effects.

Since she has already vomited it is likely the chocolate is already somewhat absorbed and causing symptoms, so most of it is out of her stomach and it is too late to induce vomiting to retrieve any more.

At this point you cannot change things much at home, all you can do is watch her now.

I would encourage you to get her to drink as much as possible and to get her out to urinate frequently. Chocolate toxins are metabolized out through the kidneys and can be reabsorbed from the bladder so we don't want them to sit in her bladder .

In most cases mild chocolate toxicity is out of their system in 24 to 48 hours. We generally begin to see symptoms, if they eat a toxic amount, within 4 to 6 hours.

It may help to with-hold food next 12 hours to stop intestinal spasms which can lead to diarrhea.

If she seems at all nauseous to try and settle Mae's stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These are acid reducers and should help her feel less nauseous. They are quite safe and can be used days if needed.

Then after her 12 hours food fast to decrease the symptoms of stomach upset you can feed her a bland diet next couple of days. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or lean, boiled hamburger and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. Feed small meals frequently.

If you do notice a very rapid heart rate (more than 160 beats per minute in a small dog) repetitive tremors or seizures then she should be seen by a veterinarian on an emergency basis . They can use injectable medications to control her heart rate and stop the seizures until the toxic levels fall.

Given the amount that she ingested I highly doubt that you will see any serious symptoms. If she tends to have a sensitive stomach you may see mild nausea, some more vomiting or very loose stools, but hopefully we can control that with the suggestions I have given you.

Best of luck with Mae, let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian