Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog will be 13 in january. we noticed he has no desire to…

Customer Question
Hello, my dog will...

Hello, my dog will be 13 in january. we noticed he has no desire to eat and we have been spoon feeding him food that doesn't require him to chew. he has lost weight over the last 2 weeks...yesterday we noticed he cant walk straight as if he has lost his balance and today i found him staring at the corner of the wall and putting his nose to the floor. i picked him up and redirected him to another part of the room and now he is walking and standing about. I did some searches and not sure if it could be early onset dementia or does he have something neurologically wrong with him?? do you have any advice?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Not really, but I did notice a little blood on the floor. let me check.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will ask you more detailed questions to find out what is causing this. What is the dog's name?

Kalo. he has a little scrape on the outer left paw, but looks minor.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

U think this is what is causing this?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Kalo, please?

Regretfully, you've described a critically ill dog with evidence of encephalopathy (brain disorder) - wall staring and ataxia ("drunken sailor"). It's important to recognize that there's usually more than one thing going on in a 13 year old. For examples, encephalopathies can be of intracranial (within the skull) origin such as brain tumor or of extracranial (outside the skull) origin such as a poorly functioning liver or kidneys intoxicating the brain. Kalo's vet will want to perform a complete physical and neurologic exam inclduing diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. If nothing untoward were found in such testing, MRI would be needed to look inside Kalo's skull.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian