Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate 2 grapees. Teddy - he is 4. I was reading he

Customer Question
Hi my dog ate...

Hi my dog ate 2 grapees

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Teddy - he is 4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddy?

I was reading he should throw up so i gave him 1 tsp hydrogen peroxide but he never threw up either so now has 2 grapes and hydrogen peroxide in there. he weighs 16 lb

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Teddy is a miniature poodle or miniature poodle mix.
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 4 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I just signed in and noticed no other expert chose to answer your question and wanted to help.

Yes, raisin and grapes are bad for dogs. And dogs that have consumed large quantities of grapes have developed kidney failure. Here is a link to a site, which talks about this.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/toxicology/food-hazards/raisins-and-grapes

The ASPCA study showed that as little as .15-.32 ounces per pound could have a toxic response. You can read more on this here:

http://aspcapro.org/sites/pro/files/q_0.pdf

Treatment is frequently I.V. fluids at 1 ½ times the maintenance amount and monitoring the kidney values for a few days. So you will want to look for an increase in thirst and more frequent urination. If you see any possible symptoms, have him seen immediately. He may be one of the dogs that doesn't have any reaction to grapes, but if he does, he will need to be seen quickly so treatment can be started.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner