Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I've noticed lately that dog's eye are visable quite often.

Hi, I've noticed lately...

Hi, I've noticed lately that dog's eye white are visable quite often. This really concerns me because I've read it means dogs are uncomfortable or nervous. She has no reason to be and doesn't show any other signs of being less than happy. Am I over reacting?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

I can see the whites of her eyes, as I said in the above post and am wondering if she's anxious or worried about something.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She's not hurt or sick as far I can tell, but I'm worried that she might be anxious.

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

No, just her emotional state.

12/12/2017
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I just signed in and noticed no other expert chose to answer your question and wanted to help.

Do you still need help with this matter? If so, it is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What breed is your dog?

Are you a male or female?

Is it all the time or only at specific times such as when you are standing or other activities?

Does it happen when you reprimand her?

I'm a woman (?), my dog Halo is a beagle/***** ***** mixed breed. It happens when she's reprimanded, but it also happens when she's just laying on the couch and even when I scratch under her jaw which she loves.
The best to call is around 3or 4pm ash.

Hi again. I generally do not do phone calls as I can not supply the supporting documentation that I feel is likely to be needed. Some other expert might choose to call but I will continue in this format to give you what I feel is happening. I am typing up your reply now.

It may just be that she is showing submission by not staring directly at you. Since staring directly at you could indicate a challenge of your authority, she may just be glancing at you but not willing to look directly at you. In addition, if you are reprimanding her then she should be a bit uncomfortable. However, I should point out that you should only reprimand a dog when you catch them in the act of doing something wrong. Reprimanding them at any other time is confusing to the dog as they do not know what they did to earn the reprimand. If you have been doing this, then she would be even more anxious since she wouldn't know why you are reprimanding her.

When you are scratching under her jaw, she just may not be willing to move her head to look at you normally as it would change where you are scratching. This may also just indicate that she is not sure she is acting appropriately. On one hand she sees you as the boss, but when allowed to be on the furniture at your level elevates her to your position and thus can confuse a dog unless they see it as a reward that has been earned. You can help her see it as a reward by not allowing her to get up whenever she wants but make her obey a command in order to be "allowed" up on the furniture. This lets her see you are the boss and she will be more secure in her place in the family.

Obedience training will also help her gain self confidence in how she acts. When obedience trained, she will know just what you expect when you give specific commands and won't need to guess if she is acting in the way you want. She will know she is doing what you want her to do. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

I find dogs love to train with paper thin hot dog slivers and working with her twice a day for about 15 minutes seems to have the fastest results. So start training with her and only let her on the couch after she has performed a command so she feels she earned the privilege of being on the couch. It is best to also start the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Try my suggestions out and I'm sure she will feel more comfortable. Now some eye conditions can lead to lower lids drooping a bit and thus more of the white portion of a dog's eye will be exposed. If you feel your girls lower lids might be drooping a bit, you can have your vet check this. You can read about this here:

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-diseases-conditions-a-z/ectropion-dogs-whats-wrong-my-dogs-eyes

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

jadedangel57