Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dogs has had toenails which we got clipped by the vet.

Customer Question
My dogs has had...

My dogs has had long toenails which we got clipped by the vet. But now it seems she losing all of her nails and probably has 3 left now. Is this normal or what can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your dog?

You My dogs has had long toenails which we got clipped by the vet. But now it seems she losing all of her nails and probably has 3 left now. Is this normal or what can I do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

It doesn't seem like she is in any pain but she is constantly licking all her paws

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?

Candy and she is over 2 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Candy?

No that's all the issues we have

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

It is not normal after a nail clipping for a dog to lose the nails. There may be an infection, immune suppression, or other disorder for this.

I would call your Vet so that they can see what is going on.

I am going to direct you to a link that goes over the disorders that can cause this.

And again, I apologize that you were not answered sooner.

https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/skin/c_multi_nail_nailbed_disorder

Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant