Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have am 11 year old beagle and after our walk yesterday he…

Customer Question
I have am 11...

I have am 11 year old beagle and after our walk yesterday he started favoring his left front leg. he can stand and walk but with a noticable limp . i have checked his paws and there doesnt seem to be anything wrong there. i would like to give him something to make him more comfortable to see if this lessens over the next few days

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes i have and i dont see or feel anything

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the beagle's name?

Petey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Petey?

He is taking cosequin ds one tablet per day

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 7 months ago
jadedangel57

Hi jaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. I just signed in and noticed no other expert chose to answer your question and wanted to help. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I know that you did look over the paw, but you will need to look over the paw again to be sure. Look for splinters especially around the pads. Look between the toes for sores or pebbles, redness or inflammation. If you find a pebble or splinter, you can remove it. If you find a sore, then you can treat it by soaking the paw 2-3 times a day with warm water and epson salt, disinfecting with hydrogen peroxide and applying Neosporin or triple antibiotic cream. I would then use a baby sock to keep the paw clean changing as it gets dirty. Hopefully you find something this time that you didn't the first time but if not, then it is time to check some other things.

You will also want to check the nails. Dogs whose nails have become overly long can have a lot of pain due to the nails pushing the toes back and up. Also check the nails for splits. If you find one split, you should try and cut it back. If it is badly split on most of the nail, you may want to have the Vet do it as there is a chance of some bleeding if the nail is cut too short. Take a clean dry cloth and hold it firmly on the nail tip for 5 minutes straight. You can then use a styptic pencil, corn starch or flour in a pinch to stop the bleeding though. Some people recommend using a piece of a paper bag against the nail to stop the bleeding, or rubbing a candle against the nail so the wax stops the bleeding. You'll want to keep your dog calm as walking around may start it bleeding again.

If none of these things is the cause, then you may need to have it looked at by your vet to determine if a fracture is present or not. While it seems to be the paw, it may actually be the elbow or shoulder area, so your vet can check that out as well. If there is no bleeding, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain... Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin

If your dog is putting any weight on the leg, that is a good sign. Your dog might be having problems with an elbow or with an injury to the wrist area.

If swelling develops, it might indicate carpal hyperextension which you can read about here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/carpal-hyperextension-in-dogs/

Dogs can have elbow dysplasia and Lyme disease can also cause lameness as well. You can read about elbow dysplasia here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/elbow-dysplasia-in-dogs/

Taking a wait and see approach is not a bad idea. However, you also want to be sure that you keep him as inactive as possible during this time to allow any possible injury time to heal as well. Crating except for short elimination trips outside is recommended. After a few days, you should see improvement, but if you don't , then you will definitely want to have him seen.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please done hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful?.