Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My red heeler ate part of a tennis ball about 24 hours ago.

Customer Question
My red heeler ate...

My red heeler ate part of a tennis ball about 24 hours ago. This morning she would not eat but tonight she did. She has some horrible gas which has never happened with her before. Outside of that she acts like she feels ok. What to do/

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Red heeler (cattle dog) about 40 lbs

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know if the cattle will be able to digest that. What is the cattle's name and age?

Dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Dog?

2

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: DocPaul, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi.

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Third tennis ball eaten in past three days!

The big thing we have to worry about here is blockage of the intestinal tract

That said we should start feeding 2-3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin with each meal and for the next 2-3 days

This will bulk up the stools and push the pieces along

It is quite likely that the pieces will be passed in the next 48 hours

Make sense?

Paul

And regarding the gas I dont think it is necessarily due to the tennis ball

Is it possible that she got into something else?

Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

I answered your question but you did not rate me

I dont get paid unless you rate me

Thanks, Paul