Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is on heat and just started passing clots although only…

Customer Question
She is on heat...

She is on heat and just started passing clots although only small

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?

She is lethargic and drinking more than normal

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Mia and she is 11 yrs old

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long has this been going on?

Friend, it is possible that she could be in heat. But, very often owners get confused and think their dog is in heat when in reality the dog has an infection of the uterus called a "pyometra." The symptoms that you are describing of her being lethargic, drinking more than usual and vaginal bleeding are consistent with a pyometra. If she does not a pyometra it is a surgical emergency, untreated unfortunately it could be fatal. Other possible causes are vaginitis, urinary tract infections, cervical tumors, etc. But, at this point, it is important to rule out a pyometra. A quick X-ray can determine if she has a pyometra or not. I would highly recommend having her checked by ER vet and not wait. Holding on treatment can have fatal consequences, not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have any significant therapeutic benefit, I am sorry. I realize that this answer may not be entire to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian