Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog Holly has been exhibiting weird symptoms. A few

Customer Question
Our dog Holly has...

Our dog Holly has been exhibiting weird symptoms. A few weeks ago her face became paralyzed, she got more anxious, she leaves her mouth open, and she started getting shaky and falling. We took her to the emergency vet and they told us she had vestibular disease. Then the past few days she's started to have seizures and we're concerned she has a brain tumor. She has all of the symptoms of one and now she's not digesting her food and won't eat. We switched her to wet food, she ate it, but today she threw up several days worth of food all at once.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

We're not sure about her age but we'd guess she's between 6 and 8.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. F, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. F
Dr. F, Veterinarian

Hi there, thank you for your question and joining us on JustAnswer. I am Dr. Mike, a licensed veterinarian and practice owner and I will try to help you with your questions about Holly. Firstly, what breed is Holly? Can you please tell me what types of things she is doing for the seizures. Also, was she or is she on any medications for her issues? Were there any blood tests done?

Holly's a yellow lab. She has different types of seizures I think. One was more severe where she was just laying down convulsing. And another she was standing and she kept twitching her head back and her legs were twitching. She was put on gabapentin for 10 days to see if she improved, but she kept getting worse. And there were no blood tests done because the emergency vet said that they weren't really necessary.
Ok, thank you for this information. So, I think it is quite possible she has 2 separate issues happening, well one resolving and the next one started. This vestibular syndrome has improved as it should but the seizures are a separate issue. Yes of course brain tumour is on my list but more commonly in this breed the cause is something else like epilepsy. I do not find that gabapentin is a good first line treatment of seizures in dogs rather I like to use phenobarbital or potassium bromide. I would have some blood tests done to make sure it is not more of a metabolic issue like liver disease or another disturbance. Once extracranial causes can be ruled out I then start to think about intracranial issues like epilepsy. Labradors are over represented in clinical studies on epilepsy and well controlled with medication. Has her level of friendliness changed? Most of the vomiting and such can be attributed to the vestibular issue.
She just started vomiting and she still is falling pretty frequently. She's still friendly, but not as responsive and extremely anxious over everything.
I would start her with 1 regular strength gravol for the time being to see if that impacts her balance and vomiting both.
How is Holly doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. F
Dr. F
Dr. F
Dr. F, Veterinarian