Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She is panting and she can’t climb stairs or jump on the…

Customer Question
She is panting and...

She is panting and she can’t climb stairs or jump on the couch she is just laying in the floor. We went outside and she took off running around the house and came back and could hardly walk. We went outside right after she got done eating.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Lilly age 8

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lilly?

She has had stomach issues before. She ate carpet and had 2 surgeries and doesn’t like anyone to touch her below her neck

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Hello
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/12/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Lilly. Which breed is she, please?

Degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") should be an important differential diagnosis especially if Lilly is a miniature or small dog. Supportive evidence of a disk may include vocalizing when approached or lifted, having trouble jumping up or down and navigating steps, ataxia (“drunken sailor”), trembling/shaking/panting (pain responses), a change in posture such as the neck held rigidly and head lower to the ground or a"hunch" in Lilly's back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Lilly's vet will want to carefully palpate (feel) about her spine looking for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) suggestive of a disk. Conservative care involves the use of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. These drugs are usually administered for at least ten days. Most simple disks will remiss within a few weeks. It's important to keep these dogs as quiet as possible lest they hurt themselves further.

Should paresis (weakness) or paralysis arise in any limb(s), Lilly would need the attention of her vet at your earliest convenience. Such dogs are then surgical candidates for spinal cord decompression. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.