Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have the issue described on this page. My dog was

Customer Question
I have the issue...

I have the issue described on this page. My dog was diagnosed with this but the doctor did not offer a blood test or biopsy. The atrophy is only one side and he does not show signs of pain or problems opening his mouth. He started with the prednisone and is supposed to be on it for three weeks. How will I know if it is working? Will the muscles go back to normal? How long will it take to show improvement? Thank you.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Sebastian

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sebastian?

He has some mast cell tumors removed in the past.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm not privy to what you're seeing on "this page" and so I'll need you to describe where on his face the muscular atrophy exits on Sebastian. How old is he, please?

It is an article about MMM. My dog is showing no signs of pain or problems with opening and closing his mouth. He does have visible muscle atrophy on one side.
He is 10 years old. Puggle

Thank you. MM doesn't exist if pain doesn't exist and Sebastian isn't having difficulty opening his mouth or prehending toys or food. Instead, if you're seeing unilateral atrophy of the muscles of mastication - temporal and/or masseter muscles - trigeminal neuropathy (cranial nerve V disorder) is the most likely cause. Only trigeminal nerve abnormalities, MM, and anomalies of the TMJs are strictly confined to facial muscle atrophy. It can be a challenge clarifying the cause of a trigeminal neuropathy. In some cases it's idiopathic (unknown cause), transient, and my patient normalizes within a few weeks. In other cases it's due to a tumor impinging on the nerve. Sebastian's vet prescribed prednisone in an attempt to reduce inflammation associated with that nerve. Advanced diagnostics might include CT or MRI. Diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and X-rays are rarely of value. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

How do you treat trigeminal neuropathy?

In most cases with the tincture of time because most cases are idiopathic. If a tumor can be visualized by imaging as I mentioned, surgical removal of the tumor might be contemplated. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Can most tumors be removed surgically?

Regretfully, no, as surgery is quite invasive and can involve opening up the skull. Only a specialist veterinary neurologist would entertain such a surgery.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian