Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I just talked to Dr Gabby about an antibiotic for my dog.

Customer Question
Can I talk with her...
I just talked to Dr Gabby about an antibiotic for my dog. Can I talk with her again?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

HI, Its Dr. Gabby : )

Hi, I talked to you earlier about a cairn Terrier about the Antibiotics. Do you know about what kind of dose would go with the Clindamycin.

Yes, I remember

The dose is 10mg per each pound every 24 hours

Or

5 mg per pound every 12 hours

OK Thanks, ***** ***** of food would you suggest. I have been giving him canned dog food because he cant eat the other any more, but he has a hard time eating the canned stuff even when I thin it out and mash it up.
On antibiotics will ammoxicilian or augmentun work. I have some of that already.

I think canned food is a good idea. You could use canned puppy food as that is higher in nutrients and calories. The high quality foods would be a good idea because he could eat less an still get the same nutrition in a smaller amounts.

Blue

Wellness

Proplan

Are good ones

They sell those brands online and at Pet Stores.

Just make any food changes gradually over a weeks time to help prevent stomach upset.

If he likes rice, and chicken, you could add a few spoonfuls of rice and chicken to his canned food.

No, amoxi and augmentin will not work. Augmentin is the wrong formulation for a dog to take. Amoxicillin is not good for mouth bacteria in dogs.

Ok, Thank You. I will see about getting him in to a vet for an exam.

You are very welcome.