Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has diarrhea and is vomiting yellow mucus. Is there…

Customer Question
My dog has diarrhea...

My dog has diarrhea and is vomiting yellow mucus. Is there something I can give him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No he is an inside 14 year-old Lhasa Apso.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Louie?

He is deaf now but otherwise in good health.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to her that your fellow Louie is vomiting yellow mucous, and has diarrhea.

How long has he been like this?

Is he willing to eat and drink?

Is he lethargic?

Yellow in the vomit means that the small intestine is refluxing bile into the stomach so that when he vomits you see the yellow color. That isn't normal as bile doesn't belong in the stomach, and it does mean that there is some reverse motility, but it isn't specific for any particular disease process.

Repeated episodes of vomiting with or without loose stools can be related to chronic pancreatitis, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure, ketoacidotic diabetes, a systemic infection, a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma.

If he is losing weight that indicates a significant, chronic disease and an examination and some testing is needed as soon as possible.

Dogs tend to have a higher incidence of organ failure as they age. That can lead to nausea, vomiting, and gastrointestinal ulcers, vomiting and loose stools. So we definitely want to look for that, but if he has been sick long enough to lose weight we do want to make sure there isn't more than one thing happening.

If he is not coming along I would recommend a complete blood count and biochemistry profile as well as a urinalysis to start.

If those look fine then I recommend a can spec PL (canine specific pancreatic lipase).

If those tests are done and come back normal the next step is an abdominal ultrasound and/or either exploratory surgery or endoscopy to gather biopsies of her gastrointestinal tract to look for inflammatory bowel disease or cancer.

In the meantime you can try giving him an acid reducer to see if that helps. You can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotodine) at a dose of 1/4 of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 to 24 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of 1/4 of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These are very safe and can be used long term if necessary.

Then with-hold food for a good 12- 24 hours to rest his gut and reset normal gut motions.

After his food fast you might also try feeding a homemade bland diet to see if that helps. A homemade bland diet is a mix of 1/3 boiled, shredded white chicken or lean boiled, ground beef, and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice. You can mix in low salt chicken broth or warm water to make the food softer, more palatable and easier to eat and swallow. If he has mucous or blood in his stools add 1 tablespoon or canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just plain, cooked pumpkin) to each meal for fiber, as fiber soothes an irritated colon.

If he seems to improve and he stops vomiting and his stools firm up you can transition him to a high quality senior or sensitive stomach diet (Hills and Royal Canin companies both make these formulas).

But if this has been long term and he is losing weight then he really needs to see his veterinarian as soon as possible for an exam and testing.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****