Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My elderly dog has some problems with his hips. He can no…

Customer Question
My elderly dog has...

My elderly dog has some problems with his hips. He can no longer raise his leg to urinate, and it is difficult for him to crouch to defecate, he seems to have lost his appetite as well.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

The dog is Sport. We believe him to be about 15. He was adopted from a kill shelter, and that was their guess.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sport.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sport?

Not sure....he has been falling, and cannot see well either.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear Sport is having this problem. I will need a little more information to better help you.

What have you tried so far to help with this: medications, supplements, etc?

We have tried glucosamine for dogs. (The generic brand of Cosaquin.)
He can walk, but doesn't wag anymore and he will not ride in the car without trying to escape and damaging the car.

I see.

The first thing I would try would be medications for pain and inflammation. Typically we start with dog safe NSAID medications like Rimadyl/carprofen, metacam/meloxicam, deramaxx, or previcox. These can be purchased from your veterinarian. This is the first step. If there is no improvement within about a week or so, there are other medications you can give. If this were my dog I would start there. These medications are very safe in used in many many older dogs for arthritis and cause a much better quality of life.

Glucosamine and fish oil are helpful, but will not make much of an impact in a dog this age. The medication will be much much more helpful.

Most vets carry these meds and prescribe them frequently. I would give your vet a call up and see if they can make some up and have them waiting for you. I really do think this will be helpful for your dog.

Is there anything else I can help you with or do you have any further questions today?

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. I wish you both the best. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Hello again.
I noticed you have not accepted or rated this conversation yet and I wanted to see if there was anything else I could help you with.
Please feel free to reply back at your convenience and let me know if there is anything more I can do for you. Also, please feel free to leave positive feedback for this conversation at any time so we know you no longer require continuing this conversation. I wish both the best. Have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian