Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a pit/American Bulldog mix that has his legs and paws…

Customer Question
I have a pit/American...

I have a pit/American Bulldog mix that has his legs and paws injured due to digging out and crawling under fences. He's aggressive to the point I can't get him into a local vet due to his aggressiveness. Some of his wounds are seeping

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the pit bleeding a lot?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the pit's name and age?

Thor 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Thor?

Not really, when I say aggressive, he's only towards people he don't know

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** am happy to help you with your question. Give me just a moment to respond and type.

Ok

Is he neutered? That would help reduce his desire to "get out of the fence and find a girlfriend" a bit. It would also help reduce aggressiveness. Many SPCA and humane societies and PETA will neuter pitts for free.

Is your question about aggression or his leg injuries?

If the vet gave you a tranquilizer pill to give him, could you put it in a treat and get it in him?

Will he let you clean and treat his wounds?

We tried the tranquilizer Sat but was still not able to get him in, we did try and treat the wounds with bacterial meds
He's over 100 lbs, I'm unable to pick him up

So what happened with the tranquilizer? Another thing that needs to happen is you will put a muzzle on him before you take him to the vet. Then just about any vet will be able to give him a tranquilizer injection. We deal with aggressive dogs all the time.

Unable to lift him

It looks like he does need a course of antibiotics. Due to laws governing veterinary practice a vet would have to see him in person to prescribe antibiotics.

Another option is to have a mobile vet come to your house.

What bacterial meds did you use?

First aid antiseptic spray
Xpect

Okay, in terms of home care this is what I would try.

Go to the first aid aisle of the human drug store. Buy some Betadine antibacterial skin cleanser. It is a brown liquid. Clean the affected areas with that twice a day. It is brown so it could stain the carpet so do it on a place that that is easy to clean.

When it is dry, apply over the counter neosporin.

If he licks the areas, they will stay inflamed and not heal.

You can buy a cone collar, an e-collar, or an inner tube type collar at Petsmart. Measure the circumference of his neck, like a tight necklace, so you know what size to buy

You can give him benadryl which helps with some of the skin redness and irritation.

1 mg of benadryl per each pound of dog every 8-12 hours.

So, if he is 100 pounds he would take 100 mg of benadryl every 8-12 hours.

It could make him a little sleepy but that may not be a bad thing.

Cold packs on his feet, for 20 minutes an hour, can help with the swelling too.

Does that help?

Ok, first of all, can't touch his feet, get close to him with spray, he's history.

Okay, those were all the ideas I had. I can opt out and allow other experts to respond if they have any ideas.

That's why we tranquilizer was use, still growled
CLAVAMOX, I would just order but I need a script
Hands off, in a piece of hotdog problem solved
Local vets here have 3 week waiting time
If it were a horse I'd be done
Sir, I didn't want to create a situation that was unethical on anyone's behalf, I'm retired, have this pup we may have babied too much without discipline, never had a leash, sleeps in my bed but never made him lie down to treat him in any way.
I've contacted three vets in our area that treat our other dogs and they can't work him in for three weeks. I think his infection may be ok until then but didn't want to wait and see.
I did extensive research on what a vet would treat him with and hoped it would be a simple solution.
I have a script called LiveMD, I've been sick so called them, spoke to a DR. Twenty minutes later picked up three prescriptions, antibiotics, and other meds to treat my sickness.
That only cost me 20.00 including meds.
I spray my dogs wounds with a half spray, have to wait 30 minutes until he calms down to spray again, he's learning quickly, figured an antibiotic would be a simple fix.
Thank You
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian

I am going to follow up behind Dr. Gabby.

Hi, I am Dr. Denney. I am currently reviewing your post now. Please give me a few minutes to type my response. Thank you for trusting us with your question. This service is used for general information only and is no substitute for a veterinarian-patient relationship by examination.

Can you walk him into a tub with warm water and Epsom salts? Epsom salt soaks can sometimes help a lot with swelling and infection.

If he will step in then you do not need to touch his feet.

You can also get some iodine ( betadine) anti septic from a drug store and make a dilute soak with warm water and walk him into the soak to help decrease the bacterial counts on his feet. I dilute it to look like iced tea color. Then he can stand for 5 minutes in the soak

Veterinarian medicine has not caught up with telemedicine like the human side has so we are still only allowed to script out medications for animals we have physically examined. I know it is frustrating.

I'm 78 years old, I do good to get myself in a tub. Never mind, this is too much. You'd think I was asking for dope for me. Please have this sight refund my money.

Fine have a nice day and good luck. You may decide to get animal control involved to help you handle him to a veterinarian for you.

My American Express was charged 28.00 fora phone call I never got, 23.00 for help and 5.00 for deposit.
Your web site shows money back if not satisfied.
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney
Dr. Meghan Denney, Dog Veterinarian