Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Elderly dog, I think he may be constipated? He is whining &

Elderly dog, I think he...
Elderly dog, I think he may be constipated? He is whining & walking Front then backwards. His ta is tucked & he just stares at me. When I get him outside he lays down & wont budge. This is very very unlike him. I cannot get him to eat or drink either
12/11/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your elderly dog.

Constipation is not common in dogs, unless they have eaten something like bones that are caught in the colon. Is he straining to defecate?

He sounds painful, but the pain could be his spine, or internal organs.

If he is not eating or drinking, he may be dehydrated and in need of supplemental fluids.

Is he vomiting at all?

If you raise his lip to check his gums, are they pink or pale?

He is not vomiting but he is making a gagging or like snorting sound. He looks at me as if he's scared of me, really very odd

How do his gums look, pale or pink?

It sounds like he needs to be examined by a veterinarian, to find out where the problem is and the best way to treat it. Dehydration is the most immediate concern if he won't eat or drink. Try to tempt him with warmed chicken broth to see if he will take some liquids.

Gums are pink & black

Good the non pigmented areas are pink; that is a good sign he is not in immediate danger.

Still, I am always concerned when a dog stops eating, especially an older dog. The best thing would be an exam by a veterinarian.

You could try some famotidine (Pepcid AC) to see that helps with his appetite and gagging. How much does he weigh?

Weighs about 50 pounds

He could take 10mg famotidine twice daily. If this does not help, I would get him to a veterinarian if he does not start to eat.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Is tums the same?? He gobbled the chicken broth & burped

No, Tums is not the same. That is good new he took the broth!

I would get some Pepcid/famotidine, or else Prilosec/omeprazole. The Prilosec dose wold be 20 mg twice daily.

Ok, we have that here. Thank you

You are welcome. I appreciate the good rating!

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian