Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dogs stomach is very tightont think. My dos stomach is…

My dogs stomach is...

My dogs stomach is very tightont think

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

My dos stomach is very tight I think she is constip5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your dog seem to hurt?

Around her stomach area

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name and age?

Emily. 12

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Emily?

It is not normal for her to be this way

12/11/2017
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Emily. What breed of dog is she?

Is she spayed?

Is she eating, and drinking normally?

If she looks bloated, this could be a case of "GDV", or bloat, which is the stomach filling with gas. Does she seem uncomfortable?

If she were constipated, she would be straining to try to pass stool, with maybe some blood coming out.

If you raise her lip to check her gums, do they look pink or pale?

Dixie and yes she's spayed

What breed is Dixie? Some breeds are more prone to bloat than others.

Gums are pink
She hasn't moved off the bed since about 10:30 last night

That is good that her gums are pink.

What breed of dog is she, how big? We mostly see bloat in large breeds of dogs.

Unless she is straining to defecate, this is probably not constipation.

Is she eating? Any vomiting?

She seems to be very uncomfortable
Daushound
No vomite
She ate last night

She would be less prone to bloat then, and it is good her gums are pink. However, she sounds uncomfortable and may need medication for gas/bloating, or pain.

An exam by a veterinarian would tell you if she is constipated, or what her problem is, and what medication she needs for her discomfort.

Usually constipated dogs are straining, not eating, and sometimes are vomiting. I suspect something else is going on with her.

ThAnks

You are welcome! Please let me know how she is doing and what other questions you may have.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian