Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's been prescribed chloramphenicol but he won't eat and is…

Customer Question
He's been prescribed chloramphenicol...

He's been prescribed chloramphenicol but he won't eat and is vomiting and shaking. He's been on it for a few days now and just won't eat. He's taking it for a bacterial infection on his skin (not sure what the infection is called but it formed scabs on his belly). I can't get him to eat at all now so not even taking the pills -- 3 a day for 30 days. It's been about 4 days now and I'm worried he's not getting enough food and has skipped a few pills already. Are there any alternative antibiotics my vet can prescribe?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No I've been cooking him boiled chicken and turkey which he would normally eat since he's not eating his regular food but he will not eat anything.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

No he is normally healthy with a healthy appetite. Just this bacterial infection which was treated before with various antibiotics until she took a culture and prescribed CHLORAMPHENICOL

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear your dog is not feeling well. I checked, and vomiting and loss of appetite are reported side effects of this antibiotic.

I would contact your vet today to report this, and see what other antibiotic might work, based on the culture that was done.

She may need nausea injections, to get her eating again.

I have not heard back from you; how is he doing?

Please let me know if this was helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian