Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Puppy is a small mix breed, he's 10 months, he was fine in…

Customer Question
Puppy is a small...

Puppy is a small mix breed, he's 10 months, he was fine in the morning, but in the afternoon he slept through out the evening,he poop but no pee, he's shivering and won't eat....should I bee concerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the puppy. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

Also he does have a fish odor smell all in the rear, not playful and he just wants to sleep

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 4 months ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Is he up to date on vaccines?

Do you know what his primary breed might be?

Any vomiting or diarrhea at all?

Is he eating/drinking?

Chihuahua, he just ate and drank, he's slowly I guess is getting back to normal,no vomiting or diarrhea,we're going too taking for a walk in a little while

Does he still have that fishy odor?

Do you ever see him scooting his butt on the carpet?

slightly smell, I saw him scooting a couple times

Great!! Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

It actually sounds to me like your pup may be having a problem with his anal glands.

All animals have anal glands, and all glands will with that smelly, oily substance. Normally, the glands are emptied when an animal defecates normlly, unfortunately, as you're finding out, some animals have a problem getting them emptied and then they need to be brought in to have them expressed.
There's a great article on them here: http://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/evr_dg_anal_sac_problems
As for what you can do to help them...although there is nothing proven to work on every dog, I've seen some success by adding more fiber to the diet (essentially making the feces bigger, so that it pushes harder on the glands on the way out...hopefully expressing them). You could try adding a little canned pumpkin (only real pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling) to her diet a couple times a week and see if that helps.
Otherwise, the only other real option is either having the vet express them for you, or doing it yourself at home. If you're interested in trying it on your own, there's a great video on how to do that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn2Zm-KwKy4

Keep in mind that expressing anal glands is a delicate job and using too much pressure can damage the glands. If you are unable to express the glands yourself, I suggest calling your vet and scheduling an appointment because glands that are difficult to express may actually be impacted and forcing the issue can cause serious damage to the area.

Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech