Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She sounds like a pig,super thirsty and eyes bulging looking…

Customer Question
She sounds like a...

She sounds like a pig,super thirsty and eyes bulging looking 2 different directions

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Problems with drinking can be serious. I'm glad you noticed it. The Expert will know what to do. What is the pig's name and age?

No its a dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the pig?

Lucy

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Lucy, please? How old and which breed is she?

She's exhibiting stertor - a nose indicating obstruction in her upper respiratory tract. "Eyes bulging looking 2 different directions" is unclear to me. Can you upload a photo(s) of her face to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ Please check that the photo(s) is in focus prior to uploading it.

Drinking excessively/polydipsia (if chronic) and urinating a higher volume of urine (polyuria) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies; urinary tract infection involving the kidneys; diabetes mellitus, Cushing's disease, hyperthyroidism (all three will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia); pyometra (infected uterus if she's unspayed); hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level most often due to lymphoma; less commonly due to primary hyperparathyroidism); electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances; and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. Lucy's vet will need to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of fasted (for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw; never restrict water, however) blood and urine tests in order to clarify what those symptoms are signifying.