Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I don't know if there's a person on the other end or not,

Customer Question
Hi, I don't know...

Hi, I don't know if there's a person on the other end or not, but if you are there, do you charge for your advice?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

It started this morning when he didn't eat his breakfast. He's been vomiting little bits of mucus and pooping diarrhea and mucus. He's now getting more and more agitated. Keeps getting up, can't relax. He's clearly very nauseous. Keeps licking his lips. I wonder if I gave him my flu...

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Seriously?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry that your question was not picked up sooner.

It is doubtful that you gave him the flu, we don't transmit that to our dogs, but it is possible he did pick up a dog virus that has unsettled his belly.

Because he is having diarrhea , you will want to rule out if he ate anything he should not have. Maybe a change in dog food, treats or some human food.

You can try fasting him for 24 hours to give the intestinal tract time to become less inflamed and let the stomach calm down a bit, then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice.

You can also give him a Pepcid AC or a Zantac to help with stomach upset. I will put links for dosing below.

If symptoms continue and you are aware that he may have ingested something he should not have, (toys, rawhides, human food , poison) then you should have him seen right away.

Pepcid http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Zantac https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac-for-dogs-and-cats/

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DakotaSouthFive
Sally G.
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant