Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our lab developed a tumor under her nipple its swollen and…

Customer Question
Our lab developed a...

Our lab developed a tumor under her nipple its swollen and split the skin shes on asprin and antibiotics,but is now suffering w nausa and panting.she threw up once today.she was seen by a vet on fri

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Shes nine yrs normaly very healthy .shes been eating small amounts and is taking cephalexin 500 mg.2 pills every 12hrs, and1 300mg dog asprin4times ady.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. Both aspirin and cephalexin can cause gastrointestinal disturbances and when on board at the same time those disturbances are even more likely to arise. Both drugs need to be discontinued at this time. Her vet can prescribe a better tolerated antibiotic and analgesic. Please note that once a tumor ulcerates ("splits the skin") conservative (medical) treatment will fail. These tumors need to be removed surgically. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Nancy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian