Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I got a dog yesterday from a coworker who could not afford…

Customer Question
I got a dog...

I got a dog yesterday from a coworker who could not afford to take care of her, and she appears to have a rash ranging from the inside of her hind legs, all the way around and to about half way up her back. She is constantly scratching herself, and rolling on the floor attempting to ease the itching. It's bad enough that it is affecting her sleep, as she'll wake up to scratch herself several times, and to the point of breaking skin and bleeding after very intense scratching.. I'm certain that it isn't fleas, and I'm not sure how to help her. I know she isn't caught up on shots or medication, and have an appointment in a few days to get her looked at, but until then, I'm looking for a temporary solution so she can get some rest

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Nothing I can think of other than she is a 2 year old female pitbull

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 7 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am very sorry your question was not picked up sooner.

It does sound like some type of allergy , however a skin scraping should be done to rule out bacterial, fungal or yeast infections as well as mites.

You can try 'either' zyrtec or Benadryl as if it is an allergy then this will help with itching. I am going to direct you to links with information and dosing for dogs below.

Also to help the skin and coat adding a little coconut oil to the daily food can help. I generally warm it up and pour it over the food. I'll put a link below for dosing this as well.

I hope this helps the pup until you can get her to your Vet.

Benadryl http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl

zyrtec

It may take 3-5 days of regular dosing to see the most improvement:

http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/zyrtec-for-dogs/

coconut oil dosinghttp://sitstay.com/blog/coconut-oil-for-dogs