Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Pomeranian is 9yrs old not spayed and just started

Customer Question
Hi my Pomeranian is...

Hi my Pomeranian is 9yrs old not spayed and just started bleeding for her Vulva heavily

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with your Pomeranian?

ThNk

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does your Pomeranian seem to hurt?

Her vagina is bleeding heavily but she is calm just lots of blood I never seen this from her

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your Pomeranian?

No just this I’m worried for her life where I live there are no 24 hr animal hospitals And thank you sooo much

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on your dog, please?

If concurrent with an enlarged and firm vulva, her bleeding would indicate the initial stage of her estrus cycle called proestrus. This is when male dogs will be attracted to her but she wouldn't stand for breeding. Proestrus has an average length of 9 days with a range of 0 -17 days.

If, instead, she had a heat 1-3 months ago and there's pus admixed in the blood, purulent endometriosis (pyometra) is present and she would need the attetnion of her vet at your earliest convenience. These dogs are quite ill, however - inappetent and drinking excessively.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian