Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 9 month puppy(weighs 7.3 lbs ate 1/2 to 1 oz milk

Customer Question
Hi, my 9 month...

Hi, my 9 month puppy(weighs 7.3 lbs ate 1/2 to 1 oz milk chocolate, what should I do, I just gave her some mineral oil to speed her bowl movements. Any home care advice would be appreciated, as it is late and we already went to the pet ER in october. What should I look out for??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Her name is ***** ***** TZu and Poodle mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?

No, she is not on any medications

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

Good news, I very much doubt if this incident is going to adversely affect Gracie very much, in fact, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on her, she should be just fine. While chocolate can be toxic to dogs under certain circumstances they have to eat quite a lot, probably very much more than your dog ate before you would see signs of toxicity. But lets talk things over in more depth ...

1. The rule of thumb which I apply is that with milk chocolate mild signs of toxicity can occur when 0.7 ounces per pound of body weight is ingested. Severe signs occur when 2 ounces per pound of body weight is swallowed. If you estimate Gracie's weight as being in the region of 7.3 lb then you can see that your dog would have to swallow around 5.11 ozs { More than one-quarter pound } of pure milk chocolate before any symptoms would even start to occur. Clearly just one ounce is very unlikely to affect her, so no worries as far as chocolate toxicity goes. You have not done any harm in giving the mineral oil, but really this was not necessary.

2. I am telling you the following just for your information as your dog ate so little you need not do anything and need not be concerned.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning would include vomiting and diarrhoea as well as frequent urination, and restlessness in the early stages. This can then progress to cardiac dysfunction, tremors and fits. Of course, you should call your vet without delay if any symptoms appear.

Having said that most dogs with chocolate poisoning will recover within 24 to 48 hours, particularly if serious symptoms do not occur. There is no specific treatment for chocolate poisoning only symptomatic treatment.

3. Here is a link to a very accurate article on chocolate toxicity in the dog, follow this and you can check the accuracy of my advice and read more on the subject: LINK

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the very unlikely event that Gracie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian