Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog is being treated for separation anxiety w/50 mg of…

Customer Question
My dog is being...

My dog is being treated for separation anxiety w/50 mg of trazadone. she keeps pacing back and forth with her head hanging. She seems to be getting weaker and cant settle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?

My husband left about a week ago and my 35# ***** doodle started pacing back and forth, wd lay down a bit then get up and start pacing again. Vet gave her 50mg of trazadone to help her thinking she is having separation anxiety. Today she went to get down from the couch and her legs gave out and she looked like she wanted to vomit but didn't. She seems to have an ear infection which i started treating yesterday with ear drops. She paces and walks in circle

Veterinarian's Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Checked her pupils and they are even and reactive. Doesnt seem to hv a temperature nose is wet, breathing doesn't seem to be labored.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 4 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. I am sorry that your question was not picked up sooner.

Did you notice this change with the Trazadone?

What other things does the pup do that makes the Vet think separation anxiety?

Are you home with the him?

Has there been any vomiting or diarrhea?

Is he still eating and drinking normally?

I just wanted to mention that side effects of Trazadone are ethargy, sedation, vomiting, diarrhea, panting, hyperactivity, shaking, restlessness, and/or agitation

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian