Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She became lethargic and wobbly and sleepy and paranoid.

Customer Question
She became lethargic and...

She became lethargic and wobbly and sleepy and paranoid

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Isabella 8 weeks old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Isabella?

She has fleas and I've been treating her with vinegar and flea dip

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on isabella, please?

The symptoms you posted - "paranoid", in particular - suggest intoxication and so i'm concerned that her flea treatment may have harmed her. Can you tell me the active ingredient in the flea dip, please? Lethargy, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), and somnolence (sleepiness), however, aren't symptoms pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder. They might arise from encephalopathies (brain disorders - congenital/present at birth, toxic, infectious), brain trauma, or metabolic disorders such as hypoglycemia or liver failure.

I ran across a video on YouTube and I treated her for hypoglycemic and it and it worked hurt sugar level was too low she's up and running and acting okay the only problem is I can't get her to eat dog food and I don't know how to get her to eat dog food she'll starve herself any suggestions?

What will she eat at this time? I'm not as concerned about the type of food right now as I am getting anything into her. You can also dose her with a sucrose-containing syrup such as Karo at a dose of 0.5 mL per pound of body weight every 2 hours which will help maintain her blood sugar. This usually needs only to be done for 12 hours.

Thank you so much so much for getting back to me she will she pretty much what you eat whatever you're eating she likes potatoes eggs that type of thing of course anything sweet but thank you for about the sugar that will help me out a lot so I don't have to worry about her and I bought some dog food that that kind of stays in the refrigerator at the grocery stores she appears to like that so that I'm trying that she won't eat this Little Caesars or anything like that

You're quite welcome. May I have an update on Isabella, please?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian