Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Miniature schnauzer seems to be low energy, lack of appetite…

Customer Question
Miniature schnauzer seems to...

Miniature schnauzer seems to be low energy, lack of appetite and shivering

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Miniature Schnauzer. What is the Miniature Schnauzer's name and age?

Tris 11 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tris?

Not that I am aware of

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Tris is unwell, hopefully, this is caused by something minor, however, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic, shivering and has a low appetite makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in his age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime, until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep Tris comfortable and reassured and make sure he or she is getting fluids regularly.

3. However, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Tris's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

My neighbors tree drops walnuts in our yard, as much as we try to stay on top of cleaning them up she eats them. Typically we find them thrown up in her bed area. Would a bowel obstruction have similar symptoms?
She doesn’t make any noise of discomfort and can still jump up on our laps
She typically has a grundle if energy but only this afternoon has she seemed lazy.
She isn’t shivering all the time, just from time to time
She seems alert but lazy

Thanks for the further information, glad to talk this over with you further ...

1. The walnuts if they are of the sort for human consumption are not toxic as such to dogs, but the shells can cause problems if ingested in quantity including bowel obstruction. However one of the cardinal signs of bowel obstruction would be serial vomiting so I would not be so concerned about that possibility quite right now.

2. If this is something minor then, of course, it could resolve on its own, but if symptoms continue then best have her checked over by your local vet.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Tris is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect high temperature ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian