Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 12 yr old baby is on 5 mg predisone every other day to…

Customer Question
My 12 yr old...

My 12 yr old baby is on 5 mg predisone every other day to keep a growth at bay. She is also getting advanced cataracts. I have been researching lanosterol eye drops. The results look promising and she can't have surgery. Can I use the eye drops while she is on the prednisone?i

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?

Jeni

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jeni?

Her last blood work looked was all in the normal range. Eating is her favorite thing to do!

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. Thank you for using JustAnswer; I'd be happy to help you with your baby. Latanoprost is used more to decrease ocular pressure in dogs, it treats glaucoma, not cataracts. It can be helpful in dogs with cataracts that get secondary glaucoma, but it won't do anything for the cataract itself. The only thing that can treat a cataract so they go away is surgery. There is a supplement called Ocu Glo that can help to slow down the progression of cataracts and helps with overall eye health. This is what I would recommend using in your dog. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

In my research, there is a product used for cateracts which has reported excellent results in dogs, cats and rabbits LANOSTEROL. Since it is a naturally occuring steroid I was questioning if there would be an issue or problem with any interaction with the prednisone.
Thanks

Oh excuse me, I misread your original post. That product should not be significant enough of a steroid to be absorbed systemically to cause a problem with the steroid she's already on.

Thanks for your help.

You're welcome I hope everything works out with your baby.

Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian