Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

No symptoms at all now, it was a o.5 oz tube of Neosporine…

Customer Question
No symptoms at all...

No symptoms at all now, it was a o.5 oz tube of Neosporine she chewed ...she's about 14 lbs, no clue when it happened, most of it is gone...

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?

Tigger, she's acting fine right now, we just got home from work

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Tigger chewed on and ingested most of a tube of Neosporin.

1. Did she eat the tube too? Or just the ointment?
  2. Was the tube metal or plastic?
  3. Is she eating and drinking normally?
  4. Is she a healthy pup in general?
No tube, plastic, not sure about eating yet, yes healthy

While we'd prefer that she hadn't done this there are worse things to eat, and it sounds like she is feeling fine at this point.

I would be much more concerned if she ate the tube or container too.

The tube or container pieces could lead to a blockage or cut in her intestinal tract.

This ointment does contain zinc, but not in huge amounts, and this is a smaller tube.

Zinc is toxic for dogs and can lead to red blood cell damage and stomach and intestinal ulcers, but they must eat a certain amount and the little that she ate won't be enough to cause toxicity.

While we know zinc can be toxic to dogs the dose needed to create symptoms of toxicity is unclear. It does seem that chronic exposure is more dangerous, such as a coin or large amount of zinc containing ointment that sits in the stomach, is more toxic than simple supplements. Increased exposure to acid (ie stomach acid) increases zinc absorption, so the longer the zinc sits in the stomach the more it is absorbed.

One study I did find mentions the toxic dose of zinc in dogs is 50mg to 100mg per kilogram of body weight.

If she's 14 pounds, that is 6.36kgs. A toxic dose then would be 318mgs to 636mgs.

She would need to eat a lot of ointment to see signs of toxicity.

The ointment she ate is very high in oils however and thus may cause some loose stool and maybe mild stomach upset, but no long term effects. If she ate a lot of it we might have some concerns with zinc toxicity, but if she ate part of the smaller tube then she probably didn't eat enough of it for that to be of concern.

You may be lucky enough not to see any symptoms.

If she did eat a large amount, or you want to avoid possible diarrhea and stomach upset for sure later you can feed her a bland diet for the next few days. A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 boiled, plain white rice. Feed small meals several times a day.

If she ate any container pieces you could add 1/2 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pie filling, just pumpkin) to each meal to cushion the pieces as they move through her intestinal tract.

If her stools are normal for 3 days you can then transition her back to her regular diet by slowly adding more regular and less bland over 4 to 5 days.

If she seems at all nauseous you can use an acid reducing medication to help with that. You can try either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one quarter of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary. They also have the bonus effect of decreasing zinc absorption by decreasing stomach acidity.

All in all I think your pup will be fine, unless she ate more than we think, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian