Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

EXTREME DIARRHEA AND VOMITING. DIARRHEA IS BUTTERSCOTCH IN…

Customer Question
EXTREME DIARRHEA AND VOMITING...

EXTREME DIARRHEA AND VOMITING. DIARRHEA IS BUTTERSCOTCH IN COLOR AND HAS NO SUBSTANCE. VOMIT IS DARK BROWN ALSO WITHOUT ANY SOLIDS IN IT. THIS CONDITION STARTED FRIDAY EVENING. AND HAS CONTINUED UP TO 15 MINUTES AGO. I TRIED A SMALL DOSE OF PEPTO BISMO RECENTLY BUT IT HASN'T STOPPED IT YET.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

DON'T KNOW, HE IS AN INDOOR PET BUT WE LIVE ON 17 ACRES OF WOODS WHERE HE COULD HAVE GOTTEN SOMETHING WE DON'T KNOW ABOUT

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

HE IS A GERMAN SHEPHARD NAMED VANDER. HE WAS 3 YEARS OLD ON MAY 13 HE ORIGINALLY WAS A SHELTER DOG WHO IS NOT A PURE BREED.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

VANDER

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about VANDER?

IN THE PAST WE HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH OUR OTHER DOGS EATING DEER GUTS THAT HUNTERS HAVE LEFT BEHIND IN THE WOODS. HUNTING SEASON ENDED YESTERDAY BUT I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY GUTS MYSELF.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
12/11/2017
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Schmidt
Dr. Schmidt, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, this is Dr. Schmidt. I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I can make some recommendations to help with the vomiting and diarrhea.

You can give Pepcid (0.25 mg/lb) every 12 hours for the next few days. It is an antacid that can help decrease the acidity in the stomach and help with vomiting. For the diarrhea, I would start Metamucil (1 capsule every 12 hours) to help with the diarrhea. I would feed him boiled chicken and white rice for the next few days. It is a bland diet that can help when they are having GI upset. If he is still vomiting by morning, I would take him to the vet for an xray to make sure nothing is stuck in the GI tract. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If you have a moment to fill out a positive review (by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page) for me I would greatly appreciate it. This is the only way the website can credit me for my time. Thank you so much and good luck!

Hi Gordon,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Katherine Schmidt